Thursday, May 7, 2015

Blogsite problems can be annoying and more rescue information and pictures

Well, the blogsite I was using had some problems and I was often getting error messages and now I can't access it at all, so I remembered this one and had to recover the information to access it. Later, when I can access the other one, I will copy over all the blogs I did there to this one.

This blog is more information about the accident/rescue, including some pics and a note that was sent to me by the guy who saw Trevor fall....so be warned and do not read further if it might be hard for you to see.

Yesterday, I received an email from the guy who saw Trevor fall on the mountain, the one who was hiking with his son behind Trevor. He sent me a note with his memories of the day (as I have asked for) and although I cried so hard reading it, that I had to stop reading, because I could no longer see through the tears and I had go back later and finish reading it, I so very much appreciated him sending it. It might seem weird, but as I was not there at the time, every additional bit of information I get about what happened, helps me to get closure on the actual accident. Following is the note he sent me...


Dear Carol

I feel like a voyeur as I read your blog so I have to introduce myself. I have spoken to Matthew as you know. And writing this is part of my catharsis.

I extend my deepest sympathies and best wishes for Trevor, Matthew, Seleste and yourself as you all adapt to this incredible challenge your lives.  I pray that you have the patience and resilience to deal with each day and moment and grow stronger through it all.

I was with Benji my 11 year old son when Trevor plummeted past us.  I called out that he was falling, and as soon as I had made sure my son was safe on the ledge I scrambled back down to Trevor.  As time stood still I kept thinking as I approached him that I don’t even have the most basic skills to help him.  He was clearly unconscious but moaning. I bent down close and told him that people were coming and he would be looked after. When I heard that members in the party were part of mountain rescue I felt relieved that he was in good hands, and relieved of personal responsibility.  I can remember Matthew cursing as he peered over the top pitch and saw what had happened.

Last night I read the theory that Trevor probably experienced a minor stroke. It is hard to recall exact details but he was completely silent when he fell past us, he was not even flailing his arms, he seemed somehow “passive”. I know that I was the person who shouted out that “he’s falling”.  I think this might corroborate the theory.

Thank you for your concerns regarding my son. He is coping better than me. He is able to articulate his thoughts and feelings eloquently at the best of times. Thus far he has learned two things – make sure he has three points of contact when he moves, and prioritise safety. I am sure more will follow. I have not shared Trevor’s condition with him yet. I will, after we go up India Venster on Sunday morning. Ironically this was Benji’s first India ascent. I have been up and down it 100’s of times. So it is important that he have a good ascent on Sunday. He was shaken by the experience but was very focussed and determined on the rest of the walk.  But he did want to go straight down the cable car and get home. 

I appreciated your comments about how desperate we were to see him evacuated off instantly and how frustrating it was to have to wait from 915 to 1318 when  Skymed finally airlifted him. I kept wandering out onto our balcony with my binoculars throughout the morning and felt an inexplicable feeling of emotional relief when I saw the helicopter finally carry him with his rescuers off the mountain.

I have had flashbacks and keep wondering how it happened. An experienced climber…on India, a route I know so well. I speculated that he had perhaps hit his head as he came out of the final pitch or that there was a physiological explanation. So the theory of a stroke not only makes sense but is for me far less threatening.  I did go up at 7am on Sunday morning. I had to deal with my anxiety which soared as I approached the pins and chains. Then I took some photos of the pins and pitches and scrambled securely, safely and quickly up. This reinforced my conviction that he was too experienced to have made a mistake. A short while later I was home with some questions answered.

Yesterday I had a trauma debriefing session with a retired Metro Rescue counsellor whom I had reached via the Mountain Club. It was useful.  The flashbacks will continue but hopefully fewer less frequently; the act of writing this down and to you is part of my process; never take the mountain for granted or compromise on safe procedures and movement no matter how many times I have been up; as inadequate as I felt, I was Trevor’s first human contact after the fall; his experience must not scare me from doing what I love; and life is so precious – I should not waste time fighting or arguing with my son, just love him.

So thank you for reading this. I will continue to follow your progress and Trevor’s progress via your blog. I look forward to a time when a visit will be appropriate.

My wife, daughter and son join me in wishing you all the best and a full recovery for Trevor. This is something for which we will pray.

Gary
 
I am also going to post some more pics of the rescue that were taken by other people.  The pictures are (1) The Rescue crew getting ready for the rescue (2) the paramedic and other rescuers climbing down part of where Trevor fell to get to him, they hiked to get there (3 & 4) more rescuers a bit later absailing down from the cable car to get to Trevor. (5, 6 & 7 ) Is Skymed coming to the rescue. (8) Skymed coming down to land with Trevor in the stretcher and two rescuers with him on the line.







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment