Friday, May 8, 2015

Some more thoughts on 'That Day'


A while ago, we noticed that the Cape Town Marathon was using this pic for some of their advertising on fb and Trevor is in the pic (I circled him in red). At the time we all (including Trevor) thought it was very cool, but now, the caption with the pic is even more appropriate. We know how determined Trevor can be, especially with training and his physiotherapy is now his training and as determined as he is, we are hoping that it will only be a matter of time before the first part of the caption won't be applicable any longer. Trevor is too active a person and too nice a person for this injury to be his destiny.....

The Hikers Network fb page https://www.facebook.com/#!/HikersNetwork?fref=ts are using the following pic of Trevor as their cover pic.
 
Following is a letter than Bronwyn sent me yesterday, her thoughts about that day (she was also on the hike with Trevor and the others)...
 
07 May 2015
THAT Day
I love hiking with Trevor. I have many reasons for saying this, but the main reason is because you can see Trevor’s love for the mountain, his excitement for exploring it and how much he enjoys sharing in that experience with others. When I hike and am beginning to get tired and start to wonder ‘why am I doing this to myself’? I see Trevor and am reminded to take in everything I’m surrounded by (the beauty, the fresh air, the freedom, the exploration, the adventure, the good times).
01 May 2015 Hike up India Venster. A great hike, an absolute favourite of mine!
This is my account or recollection of THAT day.
India Venster is a real slog up until you reach the contour path, but knowing what is to follow makes up for the tiresome part of it. Next is the scramble. Another hiker passing us offered to give me hand up the rocks, and I politely said, ‘No thanks, this is my favourite part!’ He smiled and said, ‘Well then, don’t let me take that away from you!’
As we climbed, we joked and laughed. At the last pitch, Trevor was taking a photo of my dad’s boot just in case it touched the staple in the rock and then he would have evidence of my dad using the climbing aid. We laughed and laughed as my dad made his way up the rocks. Next it was my turn to climb up. My dad, Trevor and I were the last three in line. I remember, once up, turning around to see Trevor’s hands on the rock behind me, and I still thought that I’d better move so that he would have enough space to get up. Next thing I heard was the next hiker coming up shout. I spun around and screamed after Trevor. I don’t know where that scream came from…
My dad and I were witness to part of Trevor’s fall.
I shouted after Matthew, and before I knew it, Matthew was at Trevor’s side. In the time it took for my dad to take off his own pack, Matthew had flown down about 15m below us off those pitches. He must have jumped down those rock faces without even realising it himself.
How the rest of us got down is a bit of a blur… too much shock.
Upon waiting for help, this is what I remember seeing around me:
Tremendous Courage I saw how both Seleste and Matthew (and others too) were able to very calmly attend to Trevor. How they were able to compose themselves and continuously speak with him, holding his hand, attending to his wounds, reassuring him that help was on its way.
Quiet Moments I saw how each one had their moment to cry, be hugged, or be passed a tissue.
Pacing Up and Down I saw some unable to sit still, but up and down the rocks that Trevor had just fallen down. I think the idea of Trevor having possibly slipped was not a possibility. I know for a fact that that idea of slipping did not ring true for any one of us!
Shivering It was bitterly cold up on that mountain with the thick mist sweeping over us. We had all given up our jackets in order to keep Trevor warm or to prop him up in a position that was more comfortable. And there were so many space blankets!
Help I saw a stranger stop and come to the rescue; a medic student! Others in passing also offered to give up jackets, medical kits etc.
Flashlights I saw our group of family and friends standing at the edge of the mountain waving their arms, flashlights, and lights on their cellphones. We were able to hear Skymed, but were unable to see them because of the mist.
Hope The sun came out, and I saw hope!
Trevor I saw an extremely brave man. I did not for one moment see panic, or stress, or anything of the sort. Just bravery!
I thank God for Trevor and his family (and even though we may not be related by blood, we are definitely part of this family too)!
I have to believe that God has a bigger plan in store for each one of us.
I see Table Mountain now and it’s a very fresh and hurtful reminder of that day! I actually feel a bit angered towards it only because the trauma of that day is still affecting me. We will get over this mountain though (figuratively speaking, and in time).
Trevor, ‘encourager’ and ‘motivator’ are the two words that I think of when I think of you. May you be encouraged and motivated in your time of full recovery!
 
I also got this very heartwarming email from Gary's wife (remember, I posted a note from him in an earlier blog) I hope she won't mind me posting it here.
Dear Carol
I am Gary's wife and Benji's mom.
 
My heart goes out to Trevor, you and your family.
 
I walk around with a lump in my throat thinking about Trevor and praying for a good outcome and a full recovery.  His unfortunate fall has been close to us and each day Gary & Benji have needed debriefing in some way or another as they come to terms with what they witnessed.
It has been hard hitting to realise how safety and vulnerability are constantly in tension with the beauty of the mountain.
Thank U Carol for your bravery in sharing this blog which offers us all the opportunity to connect and get updates without invading your fragile space.
Wishing you all strength as you navigate your way forward.
Please give Trevor a special hug from us
Viv
 
Although this is a very hard time we are going through, it has proven to us without doubt what a wonderful support system we have, with family, friends and even people we do not really know. I know its probably not something I should be thinking, but I still have guilty thoughts about the trauma which was caused to Gary and Benji because they witnessed the accident and Viv, because she has to help them both through it. I'm sure both Gary and Viv would tell me not to worry about that, because that is the type of people they seem to be, but I can't help it. I worry about ALL those who saw it or were with Trevor when it happened...its just the kind of person I am. These are just some of the things I'm going to have to deal with myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment