Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm so disappointed, I want to cry :(

Today is Day 3 of week 7 of the Shape 10km Challenge. The session for today is: Walk 5 min, jog 5 min (4 x 4 min run at faster than usual speed, with 4 min walk inbetween). 10 min walk to finish....

I started off well with the 5min walk and then went on to the 5min jog. With the jog, I struggled right from the word go, but as usual, pushed my way through it. I walked for 4 min, then started the first 4 min run at faster than usual speed. I got about 2 min into it and just could not do it anymore. My legs were aching and wobbling like jelly and my chest was burning and I was puffing like a steam train. I stopped and walked for about a 1 min and tried again. I ran at faster speed for about another 1 min with the same result as before, but maybe a bit worse. I decided that there was NO WAY I was going to be able to do this, but rather than a total loss, I decided to walk for 4 min, then jog (at my normal speed) for 5 min, then walk home. I walked for the 4 min, but only got about 3 min into the jog and I just couldn't go on. At that point I totally gave up and decided to just walk home and call it a day.

I felt like crying I was so disappointed. This is the first time since I started this challenge that I haven't completed a session. Although I'm not making any excuses, I flaked and thats all there is to it, I decided that I needed to try figure out why I couldn't manage this session, when I have managed all the others. This is what I came up with as possible reasons:

1) On our camping trips, I never sleep very well. Sometimes because of noisy campers and also because I don't sleep that well out of my bed (and I don't sleep well at the best of times anyway *sigh*). So I was probably pretty tired.

2) The session I did when I was camping, I ended up (as explained in my last blog) running up and down quite a few hills. Admittedly they weren't very long or very steep hills, but for me they might as well have been.

3) We did quite a bit of walking on the beach in the sand and that is definately killing on the muscles. We also did some rock hopping which I'm sure also added to the 'damage'.

Add those three things together and I'm pretty sure thats what happened today. HOWEVER, I'm not giving up totally. I'm going to give myself a day or two of rest, catch up on some sleep and then try Day 3, Week 7 again and see how it goes.

So from a very disappointed 'Carol on the go' until next time......Cheerio

4 comments:

  1. If this had been me or any of your other friends who had had a bad run what would you say to us?

    Im starting the shape challenge soon, and it does say you must be careful not to do too much on your days off...which it really sounds like youve done the past few days.

    Shake it off, and be proud of what you have achieved so far.

    Then get some rest , and try again when your energy levels are better..

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you're right Debbie, I should follow my own advice :-) and thanks to all my WONDERFUL friends, I'm feeling MUCH better about it all :-)

    Let me know when you start the challenge, it really is great and I'm VERY happy that I took it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to start next week...dragging Brett along with me, I hope :)

    I know it is tough, and I also dont want to give up my weights workouts, so I am a little conflicted as to how I should proceed....

    My plan is weights Tues Thurs Sat, and then Cardio( running/walking ) Mon Weds and Sunday, but I am worried it will be too much , so may just take the running slower...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I hope you do manage to drag Brett along, it will be good for him :-)

    At the moment, I do weights (not much, just 2 x 10 reps of 5 weight exercises with 2kg dumbells) on my 'rest' days from the Challenge. That way my arms are getting exercise too :-)

    ReplyDelete