Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My scare for the day - yesterday

I had quite a big scare yesterday. In our home, if we don't know who is at the door or it looks like a bergie or someone looking for work (we can't afford to hire) etc, then we often just don't answer the door, or we use the phone interkom to ask what they want.

Yesterday, I was busy on the computer from where I can see the front door and through the front window right next to the door. I saw a guy (coloured or black, I'm not sure, in a bright blue T-shirt with NOKIA in white on the front of it - at least I think it was Nokia LOL and he was wearing a light coloured camo cap) come up onto our stoep and scratch in our bin. I ignored it, but kept a look out. Next thing, he rings our doorbell - I ignore it. He waits a while, then goes back to the bin (which by the way, is on our front stoep, quite close to the door). I then hear the bin move and wonder what he's doing. I go closer to the front door but can't see the bin or him, so I look out our side window, which looks into the lane at the side of the house. I see through the gate that the bin is now in front of the gate, so I keep watching. Next thing, I see a hand on top of the gate and can see that he's going to use the bin to climb up and jump over the gate into our backyard.

I rushed to the front door opened it (we do have a safety gate which was locked)  and yelled "Hey, what the hell are you doing". He jumped down and ran toward the door, I shouted, "I'm phoning the police" and slammed the door in his face.

According to my daughter who looked out the upstairs window, he walked off down our road. I immediately went to the phone and phoned the police to tell them. When I got off the phone with the police, I heard my son come back home on his bike, so I told him what happened quickly and he went on his bike to see if he could see the guy. My daughter also phoned her friend who turned up in his bakkie and went looking. Two police vans turned up and one drove down the road and the other came to me and I told them quickly what happened and where the guy went, then they drove off too.

I assume the guy probably went down our street, into the school grounds and then to the highway and gone.....

The even more scary thing about all of this, is that the guy who did this was the same guy I mentioned in my "Glutton for punishment" blog yesterday who spoke to me when I was on my run..... I'm sure he will have recognized me at the door and now knows that I sometimes go out jogging in the morning and when I do, there's probably no one at home.

Of course later I got moaned at by hubby and son for doing something dangerous like going to the door  and I was given a list of all the things I SHOULD have done. Problem is, when something like that happens, you just react, you don't think about the list of things you SHOULD be doing *SIGH*

Anyway, the gist of it is that now my hubby - at my request - has cut down the bushes and trees which looked so nice near our front door. I'm sorry they are gone, but at least now anyone who walks down our road can see exactly what is going on at our side gate. I am also going to get a whopping big taser and heaven help any other pleb who tries to hassle me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment